Jimmy Carter Responds to Questions on Peace, Health, and Hope from Around the World

Former U.S. President and Carter Center Founder Jimmy Carter is answering questions from the public via Facebook, Twitter, and this blog starting Oct. 19, 2012, as part of a year-long commemoration of the Center’s 30th anniversary waging peace and fighting disease worldwide.

Click on the videos below to view his latest responses.

QUESTION: How do you respond to criticism of the U.S. providing humanitarian aid to other countries during this time of economic duress at home?
(Submitted by Parul Parikh, Atlanta, Ga., via blog)

QUESTION: What will U.S.-China relations look like in the next decade?
(Submitted by Christopher Storey, Atlanta, Ga. via blog)

QUESTION: How can we overcome partisan division and work together toward a mutual interest?
(Submitted by Mohammed Siddig, Santa Barbara, Calif. via Facebook)

Question: What is your latest book?
(Sumbitted by Jane Bigham, Decatur, Ga. via Facebook)

Question: What is the future of the Middle East after the Arab Spring?
(Submitted by Habib AlBadawi, Beirut, Lebanon, via Facebook)

Question: How has your Carter Center work changed you in ways that you didn’t expect
(Submitted by Mary H. Doby, Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., via write-in)

Question: Will you work for women’s empowerment in the Middle East and developing countries?
(Submitted by Renate Rose, Cambridge, Mass., via write-in)

QUESTION: Mrs. Carter has been a global leader in mental health awareness for decades. What steps can we take to support her work?
(Submitted by Kevin Imrie, Ontaria, Canada, via Twitter)

QUESTION: Is a Middle East peace agreement possible? What can be done if Palestinian leaders do not recognize Israel’s right to exist?
(Submitted by Leslie Powell, Los Angeles, Calif. via email)

QUESTION: Now that Guinea worm is nearly eradicated, what will be required to keep it controlled?
(Submitted by Bill and Marilyn Cleveland from Plains, Ga. via email)

QUESTION: What kind of political reform would you suggest to the Chinese central government?
(Submitted by Zan Luo via Carter Center blog)

QUESTION: What innovative ways have been used by the Carter Center to make health care dollars go far and help change lives and fight disease.
(Submitted by Judith Askew, Amarillo Texas via write-in)

QUESTION: What can students like me do to advance human rights around the world?
(Submitted from Facebook by Zach Komes, Washington, D.C.)

QUESTION: What might be a peaceful solution to the situation in Syria?
(Submitted from Facebook by Maria Solla, London, United Kingom)

More than 1,000 questions were received from 33 countries around the world on topics from how to eradicate Guinea worm disease to how students can help further world peace.

“I am overwhelmed by the many thoughtful and sometimes poignant questions we received on our website, on Facebook, and on Twitter about so many issues critical to our future,” said President Carter. “My answers reflect my own personal values and experiences, but also the larger goals of The Carter Center to protect human rights, promote peace, and build a healthy, more hopeful future for all people everywhere.”

The Carter Center regularly uses social media channels to support many of its efforts, especially those protecting human rights and strengthening democracy in fragile states, where these platforms have become an important tool among communities with limited or obstructed access to news media and information.

Help Us Spread the Word

Post this Facebook status:

Share this tweet using the hashtag #CarterQA with your followers:

Don’t have Twitter or Facebook?

Our blog will be hosting all of President Carter’s responses to questions from around the world.

*Some questions were shortened for time.

Print This Page E-Mail This Page Share

11 Comments

1. 1

Wagner Araujo on October 19, 2012 at 9:21 pm

President Carter, my name is Wagner, I live in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I would say that you are a grade example for me, that I am a Christian and I want to one day be president of my parents. I ask that you give me some advice so that I can be an example as you are. May GOD bless you.

2. 2

Iqbal Chaudhry on October 22, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I submitted a question for President Carter’s answer as part of his Center’s anniversary celebration. How would I know whether my question was accepted for response and if it was when will this be answered or has been answered?

Iqbal Chaudhry

3. 3

Iqbal Chaudhry on October 22, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I asked a question for President Carter’s response as part of his Center’s anniversary celiberation. How would I know whether my question was accepted for response and if so when will it b answered or has been answered already?

Iqbal Chaudhry MSCE, PE
    Foreign Service Officer Rtd
    U.S. Department Of State

4. 4

Jamie Rankin on October 24, 2012 at 5:17 am

I have the same question as Mr Iqbal Chaudhry I have posed a question to President Jimmy Carter but so far have no idea whether it was addressed or not. Please clarify.

5. 5

Paige Rohe on October 25, 2012 at 11:47 am

Hi Jamie and Iqbal,
    As we continue to release videos this month, we will privately contact those supporters whose questions were chosen and will provide them with a copy of the video.
    Note that many questions we received covered similar topics, so it is likely that many supporters may still hear from President Carter about the issues they are most interested in, even if their specific question wasn’t chosen. Thank you for your interest in our social media town hall!

6. 6

Oswald Sykes on October 26, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I slso posed a question to President Jimmy Carter. How can I know wheather it was accepted or rejeted or where if accepted I could view the contents?
    Oswald Sykes

7. 7

Jamie Rankin on October 29, 2012 at 11:17 am

Dear Paige,

Thanks for getting back to Iqbal and myself.

Jamie

8. 8

timupham on October 29, 2012 at 2:58 pm

President Carter cannot just call upon Hamas alone to recognize the State of Israel, he must drum up international support. Already Turkish President Abdullah Gul called upon Hamas to do so, and Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi says he will honor the 1979 peace accords with Israel, and called upon Hamas to follow it as a role model for coexistence. More international support must be involved, especially Muslim support.

9. 9

Omar Abuzean on October 30, 2012 at 5:54 am

Dear Sirs,
    I would like to ask President Cater about his views about educatin,health and enviroment in Libya.
    We currently have poor education as well as we have a poor health service.
    Kind regards,
    Omar

10. 10

supportsyou on November 18, 2012 at 6:17 am

President Cafer should be a psychiatrist and his views are like behaviorism.any way nice videos of cafer.
    dr.deen mohd dar

11. 11

Publius on November 25, 2012 at 4:57 am

Today I went to watch Argo.

This brought bitter sweet memory of my childhood in Iran.  During hostage crises I was just starting high school in Iran.  I remember, majority of people were against the hostage taking and wanted to help to release them or at least tell the world that most Iranians are against this bullshit, then again we ourselves were under terror of our own government, and in effect were hostage ourselves too.  How can you help others when you, yourself, are tormented.  Yet again, they were our guests and it tore our heart out to see not only we were being tormented by idiots in charge but also our guests are being desecrated. I remember in our high school among close but super secretive circle of friends we were brain storming how can we express our displeasure and disgust with hostage taking, without being killed. Finally we decided each to write a letter anonymously with our broken English and own hand writing to you.  The letters were addressed Jimmy Carter, Washington D. C.; USA, since we did not knew your address.  I do not know you ever got our letters and never mentioned it, or it was intercepted by Iranian postal service.

Also, there is a scene in this movie that the “film crew” visit Tehran Bazar, and the trip is arranged by Iranian government minders for Canadian movie crew.  It was normal governmental practice to create theatrical scenes, to show foreigners how much support do they have in Iran and how much people hated Americans, but this was far from the truth.

This is part of history that never got told, but I wanted you to know it. Even though, it does not mater any more.

Here, I conveyed a historical massage from majority of Iranian people who were themselves tormented after the revolution, but even felt worse about what happened to their guests, and never got even a chance to be heard.

Regards,

Publius[1]

[1] Even though, today I am a US Citizen and live in the US, the same idiots are still in charge in Iran and I still have family members in Iran which I do not want to put in danger. Therefore, I signed as Publius the same way the federalist papers were signed.